Skip to main content

Pre-Departure Reflections: A Look at the Years Behind


                                  
RESPECT Intellectual Club, Meeting before I left Ghana

Time went bye so fast. I can still remember when I first landed on JFK International Airport in New York City on December 12 2006 before boarding a connection flight to Providence, Rhode Island where I was met by my mother and two staff members of the Lutheran Immigrants and Refugee Services (LIRS). LIRS was the resettlement agency that assisted my mother in processing my travel to the US from Ghana. I can still remember when I saw my mother after 14 years of separation how being reunited with someone you love so dearly can be. I still remember walking down the streets of the City of Worcester visiting the offices of Social Security Administration, Department of Transitional Assistant, Massachusetts Department of Motor Vehicles and other state and local agencies trying to find my way through these system. I still remember it was during the winter, falling as I walked to those offices. I remembered after a about 3 weeks I received my employment authorization card from the Department of Homeland Security followed by my SSN and card as well as my State ID. These processes took lots of thinking and frustrations most especially when you are not familiar with the system. However, as it went I was able to receive my documents and started to looking for job.


It was a difficult process most especially coming to the US during the winter after years living in a tropical climate like that of Ghana, Ivory Coast, Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia. It was really hard for me to get use to the winter and to be sincere and frank with you it is still hard for me to this day. I like the winter, but not when the temperatures are in the single digits or below zero. It becomes really challenging and difficult for me. I usually suffer enter frequent headaches and bloody nose during most of the coldest periods of the winter. However, it's a good experience.


I still remembered getting my first job as instructional assistant at the Worcester Public Schools. Its turns out that my teaching experience in Ghana is going to be very instrumental in my new life in the US. I started working as a teacher assistant on February 2, 2007; that is, I started working just about two months in the US. That was a good thing. I received assistance both financial and food stamps from the department of transitional assistants (DTA) for about 6 months when I first arrived in Worcester. These assistance were cancelled in the 7th month stay in the US on grounds that I was making enough money from my current job as a teacher assistant and I was no longer qualified for such assistance. It made really good sense. I wasn't moved and I never wanted to keep receiving these aids anyways. I wanted to make new life as independent as possible and also help others as much as I can be helped by others.


Overall, I was able to understand the system so quickly that within the first 7 months in the US I applied to become a permanent resident and within those 7 months I received my Green Card. It was such an amazing experience to be able to navigate through the system with no assistance from my resettlement agency or anyone else for that matter. I process my application and submitted the appropriate documentations needed and within just 7 months I got my status changed to Permanent Residence. It was such an experience. One I never ever thought I could have done all by myself. It was also educational and it made me to generate the needed skills to also help my mother and niece and other refugees with their paperwork. This may sound as easy as you think, but these processes requires lots of time, patience, endurance and commitment on your part. If you want something go for it. Just don't do anything out of the usual that will risk your chances in the process. Live and obey the laws and all will be okay with you.


I could write an entire full blog with just every little information about my experiences thus far, but I will just like to summarize. I just want to say that it has been an interesting 4+ years for me. A lot has been done and these were only possible because of the good people of this City (Worcester). Within the 8th month of my arrival I started taking classes at Worcester State University where I graduated from 2010 with a degree in Sociology and Geography. I worked with several local organizations and agencies in different areas of specializations. I volunteered in assist newly arrive refugees integrate within the City of Worcester and also volunteer as a mentor for the community-based organization that seeks to assist refugee students within the Worcester Public School systems bridge the gaps in their educational experience. I am currently pursuing a Master degree in International Development and Social Change at Clark University where I am also currently working as a Graduate Student Career Research Assistant a position that I started in April 2011. 


At Clark University, I was able to receive funding from the Compton Foundation to conduct a research in Ghana. The post on this blog will not be related to my study, but it will only reflect my personal experiences at the refugee camp where I once lived for 11 years and my experience and travel in Ghana generally. Please visit this blog as frequent as you can, because I will keep posting information here as I go through.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regenerative Agriculture through Drip Irrigation Systems, Three-Sisters Garden Model and Small-scale Animal Farming: A Reflection from the Past

Drip Irrigation installed about 30cm away from raised-beds at a height of 1m. Source: RESPECT Ghana The world is presently experiencing major changes that have been largely linked to anthropogenic activities and these changes influence the climate systems, leads to variations in the Earth's climate systems. “Global Warming” is causing many devastating changes in the earth’s global climate systems which also have significant implications on landforms, biodiversity, water systems, and atmospheric system. There is a need to take drastic actions now, if our species is to survive throughout the next 25 years. In order to continue to survive as a species, there is a need for us to become more proactive both at the local, national, and international levels on how we use our energy sources for a more sustainable future. A future that not only define our species, but also take into careful account our neighbors the plants, animals, water, land, air, and all those microscopic li

A Classical Theory Paper on The Movie "Brazil."

Source: URL:  http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/02/the-terry-gilliam-retrospective-part-3.html The Criterion Edition of the 1985 movie known as ‘Brazil’ detailed significant classical theoretical concepts of Max Weber. The paper discussed how specific scenes and dialogues in the movie are related to Weber’s view of the world from a theoretical perspective. Source:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wh2b1eZFUM Weber (1864-1920) was a pessimistic classical theorist unlike Karl Marx (1818-1883) who was more optimistic about events occurring in society. He believes that society will gradually become difficult and there is nothing that we can do to fix it. His theory was based on two ultimate themes which are reflected in his entire theoretical thesis: firstly, “the emergence of capitalism as the dominant form of organization in the West and secondly, the relationship between ideas and actions” (McQuaid, summer 1 Lecture, 09). These two components of Weber’s theoretical wor

Ethics, Human Conduct and Values: Slavery’s Pleasant Homes

  Ethics, Human Conduct and Values: Slavery’s Pleasant Homes         Slavery’s Pleasant Homes told by L. M. Child is a sorrowful story that presents a clear picture of how racism, slavery, marriage, and classism as institutions were used by Frederic Dalcho to oppress and humiliate George, Rosa, Mars and Marion. The purpose of this paper is to discuss, investigate and analyze all the major elements in the story and how these elements can be linked to the various characters such as Frederic and George Dalcho, Mars, Marion and Rosa. This paper seeks to investigate who is morally culpable for perpetrating the worst thing that humanity has ever encounter. It is also my goal to recommend possible power structures that can be substituted for those  which existed in the story. I also attempt to address current sexist, racist and classist practices that are demonstrated in the United States and how these practices promote and encourage oppression, male supremacy, vi